quinta-feira, 17 de março de 2016

Book Review | Snow by Orhan Pamuk

I'm sorry to say I almost couldn't finish this one. Snow by Orhan Pamuk is about a poet who returns to Turkey after being exiled to write about a suicide epidemic among young girls for a newspaper.

I am not accustomed with political novels and I didn't know much about Turkey's history. To have a romance story embedded into an historic event such as the suicide girls and also into politic turmoil was sometimes boring for me. I guess I don't have much of a brain for political drama and its subtleties.

Of course, what I most enjoyed about this book was all the lighter parts on it, from Ka's (main character) path, following his love and his writer's block and all his insights accounted for from a friend's perspective.

Snow was very foreign to me. The dialogs sounded too theatrical and formal at times. I did not get much of it in terms of the religion side of the plot, and religion played a really important part in the novel.

I'm not sure if I'm at fault here or if the book is indeed boring. It was much praised and for that I feel stupid because I did not like it as much as the critics who applauded it. I guess it was beyond me, the whole book.

Maybe I was expecting something much different, with the girls' suicide event, which happened in real life, and the promise of a poet who was working as a journalist. 

By the way, one of the most interested bits in this book was about a particular newspaper (SPOILER) that printed events before they happened, which the editor thought was a way to both predict the future and to make the future, and that, he mentioned, might be the way of the future.

I have to give Snow another try. Yes, in the future.

5/10

Vanessa

Sem comentários: