quinta-feira, 28 de abril de 2016

Book Review | Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

"Gone Girl is a book you'll be begging other people to read, just so you can discuss it with them" wrote the Mail on Sunday. Yep. I can only agree. Please, if you like reading, do read it.

I can't begin to say how much fun this book was. There are no words for it. I have seen the movie and knew more or less how it ended, but I still could not let this book go until I got to the last line and then I had an interview with the author that made me want to read the other two books she wrote as fast as I can.

Gone Girl was wonderfully catching for someone who loves reading, writing and studied communications. Besides both main characters' careers in print, the media frenzy and need to portray a bad guy described in Gillian Flynn's book was a gripping study on how media works these days and how little the public can know about an event before passing judgement and crucifying someone. Yes, this book is biblical.

The novel is narrated by Nick and Amy, two distinct voices that tell their side of the story, always partial and always just one side of things so that the reader can be surprised at all the twists and turns.

There were no boring moments, no lazy subterfuges, no easy ways out. It was all fun, really. There were always thoughts that surprised me, there were always depictions of love both dark and obsessive as interesting and innovative, there were always fearful ideas from a beloved character that made one cringe.

I suspect this book provoked all manners of expressions on my face. I remember I winced and I laughed and I chuckled at how brilliant some remarks were. I guess Flynn caught me early on and for that all the little flaws the book must have, because no book is perfect, were taken as a way to remind me all that I was reading was merely a work of fiction. This book is one of the reasons why I love fiction.

10/10
Vanessa

Sem comentários: